July 30, 2022

Tushar Mountains

 

Earlier today, with my friend Pam, I drove north up to the town of Beaver, and then east into the Tushar Mountains.  We were attending a DNR, Department of Natural Resources, field trip to view the mountain goat herd that lives up in the alpine zone at the top of the peaks.  These goats were re-introduced into that area many years ago and they have been thriving and multiplying ever since. 

The drive from Cedar City was about 75 miles one way.  Our final elevation was at 11,500’, at about the tree line level and above.  The energy at those elevations is always inspiring. 





We ended up at a popular viewing area where quite a few people had congregated with their binoculars, spotting scopes and cameras.  The weather was perfect, but unfortunately, only one goat was spotted.  I do not have a camera that can take good photos from a far distance, but below is my best shot.  The mountain goat was resting by some bushes.

Pam and I actually spent most of our time up there walking around.  It was sunny, somewhat warm, and with only a slight breeze.  Perfect!  Of course, I was also photographing the plants that live in that elevated environment.  The last time I had seen some of these was when I used to go with a botany group into the alpine zone of the San Juan mountains of Colorado.  Here are a few of those beauties!




By the time we drove back down, the storm clouds were gathering.  It is monsoon season here in the southwest, and we drove through a downpour that partially flooded the road that we were on.  No matter, as we will take every drop of rain that we can get.  In fact, it is raining right now as I write this.  From the elevating to the refreshing.  What a great day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment