July 5, 2022

Magic in the Mountains

After a very busy 4th of July holiday yesterday, with a long parade in the morning and lots of fireworks all over town in the evening, I was ready for a sojourn into the local mountains for some down time.  I drove up to Cedar Breaks National Monument early, as I like to do.  It is nice to be among the first ones on the trails when it is quiet and when the birds and other critters are active. 

I hiked the Alpine Pond trail, which didn’t take long, as it is only 2 miles long.  Not wanting to go back home quite yet, I drove further north to the park boundary to hike a bit of another trail there.  Cedar Breaks is currently running its wildflower festival, as the peak of the flower season in just coming on.  Nevertheless, I was shocked at the sight that greeted me when I got out of my car.  Fields of purple Penstemon leiophyllus, Markagunt penstemon, surrounded me.  I have visited this spot many times each summer, but I never remember it looking like this.  Talk about magic!   

The photo at the top is of Brian Head Peak, which tops out at about 11,300’.  All of the fields below were full of not only the penstemon, but yarrow, potentilla, orange sneezeweed and buttercups.  What a show.   I felt like I was in a trance most of the time.  What a way to reset after the busy holiday.  So instead of hiking a bit of the trail there, I just wandered and took photos.  Here are some of them. 





I am always looking for flowers that I have not identified yet, or unusual variations of the ones that I know.  Like magic, I was magnetized over to a pink version of the purple flower.  That was new. 

Then, I spotted something about 15’ away.  It was white, but I could tell from a distance that it was not a yarrow.  This was a rare albino version of the same plant.  I was thrilled, and could barely drag myself away after taking many photos.


When I work with a client, they always get a list of positive qualities to work with after their session.  Last week, one of my clients got “living a magical life” as one of his qualities.  He said that it was just what he needed, too.  Isn’t that what we all need?  The best place to get that is out in nature.  I don’t mean just taking a hike or a walk, but stopping to look and listen.  Tune in, and perhaps get some messages along the way.   That is why during wildflower season, I hesitate to hike with others, as they are either talking the whole way, or going too fast to stop, observe and wander a bit.  

It pays to take your time and let the magic happen!

1 comment: