February 23, 2021

A Personal Milestone

 

Last week, I hit a personal milestone age wise, and wanted to celebrate.  Since gatherings are still being discouraged, and also since I have not met enough people here to have a party, I decided to spend a few days at a resort for some R & R.  On Wednesday, I checked into the Red Mountain Resort in Ivins, Utah, which is about an hour south of here. 

Before I did that, I met up with my regular ladies hiking group for a very nice hike which coincidentally was not far from the resort.  This trail is called the Tempi’po’op Trail, which means “Rock Writing”.  As you might guess, there were a lot of petroglyphs on that trail.

Before we got to the rock art, we had to hike a ways.  I think, our total distance for that hike was 5.8 miles.   Here are some photos.


Here we are looking towards Ivins and the Red Mountain in the distance.
On the opposite side of the trail.
Most of the rock art was found down the trail on horizontal surfaces that were on the edge of a canyon.  There were also a few on vertical surfaces.  It was my impression that this was a sun calendar site, and was used for ceremonies at certain times of the year.





After the hike I checked into my room.  Luckily, I had a room facing out from the property and on the second floor.  Here's the view from there.  Red rocks and lava fields.  There was also a labyrinth to the left of the scene.
More about my adventure later!

No comments:

Post a Comment