December 12, 2020

Looking Back

 

It has been a little over a year since I made my big move to Utah.  This past year has drifted by as if I were in a dream.  Time seemed to be warping.  I am sure that part of my feeling this way can be attributed to the move and the anchoring into a new place.   By the time I was starting to feel comfortable here, COVID and the shutdowns and cancellation of so many events occurred.  All of the outdoor hiking activities were happening, which was great, but, looking back, I really missed the many opportunities to meet and network with the people who were involved in the canceled activities.  Interacting on the internet just doesn’t do it for me.  Certainly, you do get the information that is presented in the various webinars, but the interpersonal interaction just isn’t there. 

So the upcoming week leading up to the Winter Solstice is very important.  It is a time for introspection and review of the past year.  What worked for you, and what didn’t?  What would you like to do differently next year?  For me, I take the shamanic viewpoint, as the Solstice is the end of my previous year and the start of the next.  You may choose to do your reflection and recapitulation leading up to New Year’s Eve instead. 

I do not celebrate Christmas, so the hustle and bustle and expectations and drama are not a part of this time of year for me.  I prefer the quiet of the shortest days and the deepening of the long nights in which to do my introspection and intending.  That is actually very easy to do where I am living now, as it is very quiet here. 

As I was reflecting back into the past today, I was remembering how difficult the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas was during my married days.  The social and family obligations were just too much for me.  This was also a time before I seriously embarked on my true spiritual path.  Shortly after my divorce, I discovered the book by Elaine Aron entitled “The Highly Sensitive Person”.  That explained everything!  The hallmark of the highly sensitive person is that they get over stimulated by what others experience as every day events.  Since that time, I have given myself permission to bow out, say no, or not engage if the situation is not harmonious to my temperament.  Life has been much happier. 

This will be the second year where I have not had my Winter Solstice pot luck and Shamanic fire ceremony.  I do miss that.  Perhaps in the future, when more personal interactions are possible, I may round up a group here that would like to partake in that event.  I do encourage all of you to do at least a bowl burning around the 21st, or perhaps for New Year’s Eve.  There is always a 5 day window around the solstices, so the day or 2 before or after will work just fine.  I will probably do mine on Sunday night. 

On a positive note, I will be meeting my friend and student Sabrina and her husband Jason in Las Vegas for a fun 5 days starting on the 21st.  We also have a remote launching planned with some of my other students, which should be a wonderful event.  All of you are welcome to tune in at 4 PM Pacific time on Monday the 21st when we will be meeting on line.  The launch will take place within an hour after that.  Feel free to report any interesting happenings that you experience!  I am hoping to post again at least once before I leave, too, and of course after I get back with photos.    

No comments:

Post a Comment