June 18, 2023

The Beat of the Drum

I find Native American drumming to be quite hypnotic!   Especially the group drumming that is done at ceremonies and gatherings.   This kind of drumming is done to create a theta brain wave pattern of 4-7Hz.  It is good for relaxation, meditation, and altered state journeying to name a few.  Because the dancers need a lot of stamina to be able to dance all day, the altered state that the drumming creates makes this easier. 

This past weekend, I attended the 43rd annual Utah Paiute Indian Gathering and Powwow here in Cedar City.  There was Native American dance demonstration and competition, vendors with all sorts of goods and food, and a large group of attendees playing the traditional Hand Game.   Something for everyone.

I attended Saturday afternoon.  The weather was perfect, and it wasn’t too crowded.  There were other activities in town, and it was also Father’s Day weekend. 

Drumming groups from the various tribes took turns drumming and singing for the dance events.  I am always attracted to the colorful and intricately crafted regalia that the dancers wear, but in addition to this, the drumming really puts me into an altered state.  I found myself slowing down and walking around as if in a trance!  I have to say that that state stayed with me even after I got home and well into the night. 

I am so blessed to be able to witness this annual event where the tribes come together to honor each other and keep their traditions alive and well.  Enjoy the photos below.










I really enjoy and appreciate the "Tiny Tots" in full regalia dancing their hearts out! 





Last but not least, here's dad with his daughter.  A budding competitive dancer no doubt!

2 comments:

  1. Wow ... amazing regalia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so lovely Thanks for photo and sound video!

    ReplyDelete