August 10, 2021

Decompressing

 

It has been a very busy several weeks for me here.  I have taken on an additional Remote Viewing project, which has been challenging at times, as I am still working out the bugs in my process.  The Utah Shakespeare Festival is in full swing and I have gone to 3 plays.  Very nice! 

For those of you who have been long time readers of this blog, you may recall that I am passionate about foraging for mushrooms this time of year.  Last year, I wasn’t really looking for any, as a local friend of mine said that there were none here up in the mountains.  Even the last few years in Colorado, the pickings were slim to none.  Imagine my surprise when I found King Boletes starting to pop up along a trail that I hike several times during the summer.  The trailhead is at about the 11,000’ level up near Brian Head Mountain.  Perfect for those mushrooms.

I made 3 trips, hauling back several heavy and loaded bags each time.  Once I got them home, I spent the rest of the day processing the mushrooms, either dehydrating or sautéing and freezing them.  I know there are more of them up there, but I am mushroomed out at this point!

I had a free day today, and decided to take a road trip.  This is something I occasionally do to get away from the business and obligations at home.  Early this morning, I drove up the highway to Beaver, and then east into the Tushar Mountains.  This is the third highest range in Utah.  I had been up there once last summer on a different trail, but today my destination was the Big John Flat Campground area. 

The drive was magical.  Because of the recent monsoon rains, everything was green, not only in the mountains, but most of the way on the 1.5 hour drive.  I figured I would get to the campground and then find a map of hiking trails.  Unfortunately, the vast majority of the trails, and there are many, are for off road vehicles.  So I drove up the road a bit and luckily happened upon a trail just for hikers, the Skyline Trail.  After I got out of my car at the trailhead, a couple drove up, and I was able to ask them about the trail.  One direction went up slope with big vistas, and the other went down into a canyon.  Of course, I chose the big vistas! 

The trail started at 10, 600’ and I hiked up to at least 11,000’ before turning back.  The trail was fairly steep.  It really reminded me of the summer hiking I used to do back in Colorado.  What a way to decompress!  Fresh piney smelling air and beautiful surroundings.   I sat on a rock a bit before turning back.  Here are a few photos. 




On the way back down from where I parked my car, I stopped to take a few photos of the fields of seasonal asters in bloom.  Gorgeous.


Several hours later, I arrived home relaxed and refreshed.  Ready to take on my next task! I highly recommend to all of you that if you are finding yourself too busy and need some down time, take a day off and go out into nature.  It will work wonders for your spirit and psyche.   

No comments:

Post a Comment