September 17, 2026

My First Day of Adventure

 

On the day before the conference began, I drove up from Cedar City and went directly to McConkie Ranch to view and photograph the petroglyphs.  I visited the ranch last year, and hiked to a different rock art panel.  There are 2 here.  This is private property, but the family that has owned it for many generations graciously allows people to come and experience the magic.

My first order of business was to climb up a very steep and slippery switchback trail to reach the rock art, which was located about half way up this canyon wall just beyond the trees.

The very tall figures below are done in the Classic Vernal Style of Fremont rock art.  They are characterized by having a trapezoidal figure with broad shoulders and narrow waists.  Because they have been protected by the property owners, they are pristine. 




Now, take a look at the feet on this guy.  I have seen other petroglyphs with very big hands, but not big feet like this.  I have no idea what this symbolism means.  One of the presenters at the conference even suggested that this represents "Bigfoot" but I highly doubt that.

So after scrambling down that slippery slope, I checked into my hotel.  This is what greeted me!

1 comment:

  1. Such a wonderful adventure. Thank you for sharing your photos and thank you for your blog. Kindest regards Linda

    ReplyDelete