November 11, 2020

Visitors at Last

 

Yesterday, I had my first out of town visitors here since the move.  Several more were scheduled to come this year, but because of the corona virus issues, those trips were cancelled.  Susie and Sarah drove all the way from Los Angeles, stayed 2 nights near Zion National Park, and came by for lunch and several hours of conversation before driving up to Salt Lake City for 2 nights before heading back home to LA. 

I hadn’t realized how long it had been since I had meaningful conversation with spiritually like minded people.  We could have gone on for several more hours, but they had to get going so that they didn’t get into SLC too late. 

This is one of the big downsides of the virus restrictions that are in place to various degrees.  One can attend any number of on line events and webinars, but mostly all you get that way is information.  Interpersonal interaction is difficult if not nonexistent in these circumstances.  We humans thrive on contact with each other, and yet, more and more technologies are being put in place to cut us off from each other.  For example, I went into a local cookie store this afternoon, and had to do all of my ordering at the counter via a touch screen.  I didn’t interact with anyone until my cookies were handed to me by an actual person!  My friends told me that in California, LA in particular, there is still no indoor dining.  In Utah, our restaurants have been open full service for months, allowing people to socialize over a meal. 

In a few weeks I will be flying down to Florida to spend Thanksgiving week with family on my Dad’s side.   They are a fun and pleasant bunch, and I am looking forward to 8 days of walking on the beach, bird watching, and human contact.  It will be rejuvenating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment