June 16, 2019

A Highly Sensitive Person

Yes, that’s me.  I never realized that my difficulties with crowds and family holiday gatherings were because I fell into the “highly sensitive category”.  I always thought that I was being unreasonable and difficult if I wanted to leave an event early.  Then I discovered a book entitled “The Highly Sensitive Person” by Elaine Aron.  About 15-20% of the population is in the highly sensitive category, and the majority of my clients are also highly sensitive.  With my students, the percentage is higher than in the general population, but not as high as with my clients. 

The major issue with a highly sensitive person is that they tend to get over stimulated easily.  This might happen in social gatherings or at work, interactions with verbally or energetically aggressive people, loud sounds or lights, or even some medications.  I always said that I could get high on an aspirin!  They then develop unhealthy and non productive behaviors to cope with that overstimulation.  This might involve numbing out with drugs or alcohol, having anger issues, or even withdrawing from society altogether.   If you suspect that you might be in this category, you can take a test on the internet here.  Then if you are a highly sensitive, I recommend that you get the book if you don’t have it already. 

The reason I am bringing this up now is that I have hit a major snafu with my Controlled Remote Viewing training.  I started my training with Lori Williams last December.  She teaches Lyn Buchanan’s CRV protocol.  With the holidays and all, I didn’t start working targets until early January.  It was then that I realized that the training was not really good.  It is all on line. Even if you take the courses in person, which I did twice, there is no one-on-one personal work with Lori.  It is hard to even get questions answered. 

When I realized that the training wasn’t the way it should be, I tried to switch to another of Lyn’s instructors, also on line only, but she was booked up and couldn’t take me.  So I went through the 3 courses and did a lot of research to try and fill in the blanks.  At that point, the other instructor was able to take me for tutoring to help fill in the blanks.

Here is where the trouble started.  Even thought I gave her a specific list of the basics that I needed help with, after a few very productive sessions, she began to give me some pretty advanced techniques to learn.  The problem was that with a still shaky foundation in the work, I wasn’t getting it.  This is where the over stimulation came into play.  I was not able to adequately integrate the new techniques, and they began to pile up on me.  My stress levels started to rise, and I totally screwed up that week’s homework target.  Crash!!!  I think that I cried off and on for about a week before telling that instructor that her methods weren’t working for me, and I had to discontinue working with her.  I had really been thrown off of my game, and it took that whole week to recover. 

It had been so so very long since I got myself into an overstimulation situation.  Years in fact!  Being highly sensitive is not something that ever goes away, or can be healed out of you.  It is a matter of creating a lifestyle that is harmonious with that trait, which I have done.  Even with all of the years of teaching workshops, and traveling through crowded airports and foreign countries, I never got overstimulated, so this took me by surprise. 

What have I done with my CRV training?  I am still very passionate about learning this, and even in spite of the difficulties, I have done much better at it than the majority of Lori’s students.  I will be starting over with my third instructor in mid-August.  It is a different method, and will be in person with only one other student.  I will not name names now, but will divulge that information after I have been to the first class.  Hoping that the third time will be the charm!  If any of you are considering CRV training, please get in touch and we can talk about all of the options available. 

BTW—the photo above was taken from my yard this morning.  As I crossed to the back of the yard to catch this shot, my outdoor cat Mr. Snowflake followed me and started yelling!  Really loud.  I think he was hungry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment